Thursday, December 29, 2011

Tame the world



[...]
What does that mean "tame"?
-It is an act too often neglected, said the fox. It means "to establish ties".
-To establish ties?
-Just that, said the fox. To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you, I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world...
-I am beginning to understand, -said the little prince-. There is a flower... I think that she has tamed me...
[...]
The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery 

During this year ending, millions of human beings who suffer and die, innocent victims of an unjust system that excludes them, evicts them, denies them their opportunities, ignores them, condemns them to starvation, that restricts freedoms, that cuts their fundamental rights...

All of them are "flowers" that have tamed me.

Hopefully next year us to be millions who are determined to tame the world and being tamed by it. And so it will be as if the sun came to shine on our lives.

[...]
But the fox came back to his idea.
-My life is very monotonous, the fox said. I hunt chickens, men hunt me. All the chickens are just alike, and all the men are just alike. And, in consequence, I am a little bored. But if you tame me, it will be as if the sun came to shine on my life.
[...]
-One only understands the things that one tames, -said the fox-.
[...]
-Men have forgotten this truth -said the fox-. But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. You are responsible for your rose ...
-I am responsible for my rose... -the little prince repeated, so that he would be sure to remember.
[...]
The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery 


.

No comments:

Post a Comment