Sunday, July 10, 2011

How does it feel when a flame goes out?

Dry earth in the desert plains of the Danakil depression in northern Ethiopia.
© Siegfried Modola/IRIN


(ES)

Suddenly, I had a small flame to look after.
Its tender warm comforts me. Its warm light illuminates me. I stare, I can not stop staring at it. Every time it shines and smiles the cold and the dark loneliness is away from me. Its orange heart does not stop moving. Sometimes lengthens and sometimes stays quiet with a smooth sizzle. And the breeze. The air it breathes like a warm breath. I approach and stay quietly feeling it in my face. When the air fuels the flame, it laughs and stretches his arms. Asking nothing in return for its bright colors or its warm tenderness. Only, not to let the flame goes out. And it is not selfish I do not want the flame goes out, but for the generosity and responsibility of one who knows to be blessed with a gift that must be cared for, and that attentive care is gradually becoming the reason for my existence.

I distress thinking some day I will not be able to take care of my little flame. That Its brightness will wane and its warm breath only will be a painful cold breath that freezes my heart forever. It scares me to imagine the bluish light and the plaintive cry of the flame when it goes out. I can not do anything? I would rather die than to let the little flame goes out. But that's something I can not afford, without me, the flame would have no chance to live.

But how does it feel when a flame goes out? Hard to tell, but I guess the closer you've had it, the greater the gap it left. Darkness, cold, loneliness, memories ...

Two million flames are extinguished in Somalia, Ethiopia and Kenya. Drought, food shortages and diseases are the cause of two million children under five in need urgent humanitarian assistance. They are in danger of death.

I distress thinking that remoteness of those flames which are extinguished, will only freeze the hearts of their parents, and our hearts frozen for so many disheartening news, will not be able to feel the warm of two million small flames just asking not to let them extinguish. I would rather die than to let the little flames go out. But that's something we can not afford, without us, the flames would have no chance for enlighten us.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment